Katrina caused flooding in New Orleans like never before. The price businesses paid and are still paying runs into the billions of dollars. Similarly, when flooding occurred in Iowa in 2010, businesses were devastated. Floods are a serious threat to businesses.
How Hurricane Katrina’s Costs are Adding Up – NBC News Sept 2005
Katrina still wallops small businesses- USA Today March 2007
Iowa flooding causes millions in damage – Boston.com, July 2010
Every major flood in the US has devastated businesses. Those that survived and had a DR plan bounced back much faster than those that did not. Cost of recovery was also much lower. Is your business ready? You need a DR plan in place to ensure your business recovery is fast and without hitch. Some things to consider in a plan are:
- Access to Disaster Recovery (DR) plans
- Alerting key DR members
- Safety – ensure safe evacuation or place to shelter
- Alternate site
- Office systems at alternate site – phone, computers, connectivity etc.
- Management decision makers – who and how
- Communications – internal and external
- Insurance, suppliers, customers – are employees assigned to speak to each group?